Legionella is the motile aerobic rod-shaped Gram-negative bacterium that is a waterborne pathogen found in natural and man-made water systems. This includes both potable and non-potable (utility) water supplies which can harbor Legionella pneumophila, and have been linked to outbreaks of both hospital- and community-acquired Legionnaires’ disease.
Legionella is common in many environments – with at least 50 species and 70 serogroups identify.
Legionella has certain growth requirements that need to be met in order for it to continue to survive and grow. Some of these growth requirements include temperatures above 8 degrees, mass amounts of iron and L Cysteine and biofilm.
Legionella can survive at lower oxygen levels and has a resistance to chlorine disinfection.
Here’s why you can count on CNA Environmental on your Legionella testing.
- We make it easy for you by scheduling your work, performing on-site sampling with your staff and same day sample delivery to our laboratory (within 150 miles of Albany, New York). Samples can also be shipped by mail, UPS or FEDEX too
- We’re an established and efficient local laboratory with high testing volume – allowing us to offer the lowest cost to you!
- We’re a successful CDC ELITE Proficiency Program Participant and New York State Department of Health certified Environmental Laboratory (ELAP/NELAC ID# 11534).
- All staff members are experienced microbiologists.
- We have many available area references. Our results are acceptable to the New York state Department of Health
- Our staff writes customized Legionella sampling plans specific to your facility!